Intuition and vision
Being passionate about wine, the businessman Dr. Karl Hauptmann wanted a charming vineyard, in a country he fell in love with at first sight: Romania. Finding this paradise was a pure coincidence. After the first surface of soil surveyed proved to have too much salt in the soil, the team, on their return, passed through the area. Then Marc Dworkin, the French winemaker sent by Karl, saw from the car the sunny hills of Aliman. He paused and quietly and closely examined the place where, at that time, a large chain of maize lay. It is one of his talents to feel the breath of the earth. Not long after, that place would host superb vineyards.
Intuitive land selection was just the beginning of a thorough study. But detailed soil analysis, sent to laboratories in France, only confirmed Marc Dworkin’s talent for wine and wine. He was right!
Now, Aliman’s paradise is complete.
Terroir-ul at Aliman and Rasova
Terroir – Features
- The Dobrogea Hills wine region is part of the Dobrogea Plateau, bounded between the Danube, the Black Sea and the border with Bulgaria.
- Physical-geographical features: predominantly plateau relief, alternating with low altitude areas, with soil characterized by fragmentation, loessic cover and a humid continental climate, conducive to the steppe and pontic and vines.
- Eco climate: large amount of global radiation (89-91kcal / cm) and heliotermic resources (IH = 2.37- 2.45), under the conditions of the lowest water resources (CH = 0.7 – 0.8).
- Precipitation regime: low (212 – 257 mm during the vegetation period)
- Lithological peculiarities: loess deposits predominate, interrupted by the occurrence of cochiliferous limestone, of a sarmatic nature. The loess presents a lustrous-sandy texture, and on the slopes and on the strongly eroded soils the rendezvous are encountered.
All these technical characteristics favor the growth of vineyards of a higher quality and also of rich, fruitful wines, nevertheless exceptional. After all, that’s all we wanted, to get good wines for people who deserve them. Because when someone tastes our wines, it does not just feel the strong aromas or the complex structure, it also feels the story behind the wines, the hard work of each person who invested effort, time and passion to offer an extraordinary moment: Alira wines.